Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wild Beasties in the Trees

Have you ever wondered what lurks around Corona in the middle of the night, while you are safely tucked away in your warm bed? Well, I don't wonder either, but maybe we should!
My husband let the dogs out to wander in the front yard before bed, and our pit/greyhound Bella, tore through the garage and was trying to make dinner out of something! We yelled her back into the house and Richard went out on a rescue or security mission, depending on your perspective. A few minutes later he was calling me outside to come and look. Picture me trying to get out the door with Bella, determined to finish her pursuit, pressing through my ankles with me trying to squeeze my tiny self through the door, and keep our brave watchdog pinned in the laundry room.

I finally get outside and Richard is standing there with a flashlight pointed in the tree. There, precariously perched, with heart beating a million beats a minute, looking very innocent, was a Raccoon! It was fairly small, and Richard has seen a pretty large one run across the street another night, so this must be her baby. Ok, so now I live in the wild. The poor thing was looking at us like, "What did I do?"

Have you ever felt completely out of place? It feels like you are in the wrong neck of the woods, so to speak, and everything is strange, abnormal, doesn't fit. I am realizing more and more that we are not of this world, and like the raccoon I press on with my heart racing, staring with disbelief at what I see and experience at times, and clinging for dear life. I love life, and I love people...but this world is definitely not our world. For those of us that Believe in Jesus, our spirit is longing, groaning, aching to be with Him constantly. This world is more and more not our home, and like the unsuspecting raccoon, we can easily become devoured!

As I pray weekly with people struggling to navigate this world and keep their loved ones safe...I am so grateful for fellowship with other Believers that keeps us connected, worship that keeps our hearts hopeful, teaching that keeps our perspective based in truth, and the Holy Spirit that serves as our daily counselor and teacher. As we all daily journal and get into the Word, I am so thankful for the grounding and truth that God has preserved for us until we are safely home. So when you feel like the raccoon, hang on tight, and know that God has made a way for you even in this foreign land. Beware, out there, there truly are things lurking in the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment